Monday, September 14, 2009
The trackage near Wood Station on Wood Spur was a problem area since it was built. Locomotive #10 would derail here frequently. When built, since this was a siding I decided to use older, worn rail.
The uphill rail was slightly kinked upwards as well as outwards and the locomotive would climb the rail here due to it's longer wheelbase and because the way the cars before it and behind it would pull it to the side.
The rail was replaced with another straighter rail from the upper joint to a location which had to be cut in the rail below. Also, a second drain was added he due to the amount of water which comes down the hill here. All the ballast and ties in the section were replaced with new to ensure the best alignment through this section.
Later in the day, after this trackage had been put back in service, the flat car with a load of wood derailed on the section just beyond the tree. This past spring and summer two heavy rain storms had washed out some ballast in the location and it needed to be reballasted. At this time I also decided to use another old rail to act as a gaurd rail near the tree to prevent any derailments from going down the hill or into the tree especially, since most loads are pushed ahead of the locomotive to Wood Station.
On 11-Sept-2009. Fred Wood graciously donated to the Rio Grande Southern in order from left to right, a hydraulic pump, 48 volt electric motor, 2 hydraulic motors, hydraulic control valve, a large Eaton transmission (fits on an 8HP motor) and two hydraulic distributors.
Ideally, the electric motor will be used first to create an electric "box-cab" locomotive to use on the RGS to move heavy train-loads of wood in place of the #10. The Eaton transmission can power another gasoline-powered locomotive. Or a snowblower / leaf blower which people have suggested I needed for my railroad - mainly for leaves.
The hydraulics I am thinking can be used to control a Jordon Spreader which would be handy to keep the ditches clean (Wood Spur is proof of how fast they fill in.)
RGS #10, 302, 300 and 301 in Telluride Yard, 10-Sep-2009.
After getting a good cleaning by some professionals, the prime mover of #10 was once again functioning. She will be well covered from now on to protect her and a temporary engine house built down on the engine house track from Pine Hill until the bigger building is built.
#10 ties up for the night in Telluride.
She struggles with one of the large flat cars up the 5% but she will make it. Unfortunately it was found that a section of Wood Spur needed work and so she could not push all the way to Wood Station without derailing.