Carbarn Switch being rebuilt
First task was to remove the old ties and straighten the rails. Once straightened, I began to cut the ties and install them using galvanized sheet steel between the rails and switch points and the ties. Away from the points I can use regular tie plates. Along the frog and guard rails I have to use more sheet steel as barriers. This is because the modern wood preservatives eat aluminum if they stay in contact.
Headblocks and points, where the rail was so badly bent.
I managed to rebuild the switch and get everything secured. I began to fix the one guard rail by grinding the foot off and started to manufacture the other one. But grinding makes the metal get hot and so I stopped after halfway. It was time to go to supper by then anyway.
Frog and guard rail plates - made of galvanized steel and shaped over the ties.
The next steps are to complete and install the guard rails, build another rotary switchstand and install the switch throw rod with its spring rigging. Once completed, the switch will head to Pine Hill siding to await installation on the switchback as the track proceeds down the hill.
This switch will be a cousin of the engine house (house track) switch at Pine Hill. It will not be powered like the switchback main switches since this siding track is a storage track.
RGS #10, 302, 300 and 301 parked on the bridge to make room.
At the same time the switchback is being built, a new switch will be built for the bottom of the switchback which will be another powered switch. Underground wiring will connect the upper and lower switches, the battery up near the chicken coop at the wind turbine and all the controller boxes.