Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Construction this past weekend

Not much to report (and no pictures yet) other than I began to build the retaining walls for the siding at Pine Hill. I built up the last 8 feet or so of it but still need more landscape timbers to complete the work. I need to then back-fill the end of the siding with some more dirt and then I can ballast the track to be level.

I could have done more work except it was in the 90s and VERY humid and I had to get a tire on my truck repaired that morning.

I am about out of ballast so I need to place an order. I might wait until August to do that but when I will begin work on the switchback track and the engine house track.

This coming weekend I'll be up in Farmington in the morning moving another ton of 12 pound steel rail. My truck is the only one that can get back in there and have enough power to pull those rails out. These are the rails that my friend Fred is swapping with some folks in Illinois for aluminum rail. He's going to give me the 3-way switch for the car barn section which connects to the tracks on the switchback track. I do have the switch to go in the switchback track and it will be rebuilt next. Then a new switch will be built for use at the bottom, one with another motor like the top of the switchback and I will then wire these all together (so the power and control wires will be in a conduit buried alongside the tracks.) The power source will be the vertical windmill which I have decided to locate next to the chicken coop since it is a little windier there... Plenty to do so laying track does not need to happen right away (which is easier on me during the hottest parts of the summer. Eventually I hope to spend the summer months working on the locomotives and cars in the barn and the cooler months working on the tracks. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment